background

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Valentines Day Past and Present

 I love Valentines Day!!! This holiday is right up little Lily's alley, since pink is her favorite color and hearts are her favorite shape, and snuggling is her favorite activity. 


We have several valentines day traditions in our house. To start off,  let me tell you about our first valentines day together. It was traumatic on my end, and Jordan had no clue. Setting- we had discussed marriage one week prior and were supposed to both be praying about it. Then, suddenly, Jordan dropped off the face of the earth. He claimed he was "sick". He might as well have said he was "washing his hair". 


He scheduled for us to celebrate valentines day a few days after the actual holiday due to his said "illness". Come Valentines Day, I was a mess. At the same time I knew I desperately wanted to marry him, he was strangely distancing himself. Alone in my apartment, on Valentines Day, I finally broke down and called him. This should have made me feel better, but, after a short, common "how was your day" 3 minute conversation Jordan said, "Well, I don't have anything else to say to you. Talk to you later." 


That did it. I knew for sure he was going to break up with me and my life was going to end. After composing myself, I called him back and told him I needed to see him. I drove to his apartment where all his roommates had dates and were all watching a very un-romantic war movie. After just 30 minutes of watching the movie, he said good night and went back up to his room. 


Worst. Day. Ever. My roommates came home that night to find me on my bed curled up in the fetal position. I cautiously waited to see what he would do the coming weeks, ready for the , "It's not you, it's me" talk at any minute. Instead, he started paying more attention to me. Apparently he really was sick. Who would have thought? 


On February 23rd I went to the temple to pray about him and got a resounding "YES!". I felt it even stronger the next day during Sacrament Meeting on February 24th. It had only been exactly 3 months since our first date.


Being unable to contain it, I cowgirled up that evening, and blurted out while we were sitting in my apartment living room that I got my answer and I wanted to marry him. Not very lady-like, I know. However, to my relief, he said that he had gotten his answer a whole month before our marriage DTR. We got secretly engaged that night, and he slipped his large CTR ring onto my finger. 


That valentines day was by far the most drama our relationship has ever seen - and he didn't see any of it. 


Now we celebrate each valentines day with Papa Johns Pizza, home made New York style cheesecake and a volume of Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended edition. Chill, relaxed and awesome. The very opposite of our first valentines day. 


We also started a family Valentines Day tradition 3 years ago of making sugar cookies and taking them to our neighbors. This year Lily got to help! I even broke down and bought heart shaped cookie cutters so Jordan wouldn't have to jimmy-rig one out of card board like he has in the past. 
Watch and Learn

Darling apron thanks to amazing Aunt AnnaJune. Seriously, who doesn't love AJ?



Let's be honest. This is what Lily did most of the time while we were cutting out the cookies. Which naturally lead to....
A Sugar Rush!!

Which of course lead to....

A Valentines Day Ball




I knew he was funny, HOT, even tempered and wonderful 4 years ago. Yet I had no idea just how perfect for me he really is. Just 4 years later I find myself in a solid, sweet relationship with the love of my life and 2 of the sweetest girls ever to be on this earth and wonderful family and friends. I don't know if life could get any better, not even in Harry Potter Land with Grasshopper Cookies. Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment