I learned an important lesson about a year ago when I threw my first birthday party - amidst stressing over having everything perfect, to have beautiful homemade cupcakes, a theme, along with delicious food, I realized that the birthday girl (Lily) wouldn't care about any of the things I was stressing over so I could look like a great mom. At the age of 2 she just wanted some form of chocolate and good friends to run around with.
I learned to make the focus of birthday parties, the birthday boy/girl - and Jordan is no exception. Deep down, what does Jordan really want? Answer: For me not to be stressed (My not so nice alter-ego Ashley comes out when I'm stressed). The anti-Ashely in me decided to throw him a low key surprise birthday party with friends who we are comfortable around and just do cake (Brownies per Jordans request) and ice cream.
On the evening of Jordan's birthday we were playing hide and seek with the girls when the doorbell rang. I asked him if he wanted to answer the door or change Lucy's diaper - I'll give you one guess as to which he choose. Lucy didn't actually need a diaper change, I just wanted a way to get him to answer the door without raising any suspicion (I'm not often successfully sneaky, so I have to brag about the few times that I am.)
However, several of our friends were waiting at the door to say Happy Birthday and party the night away with him. Jordan was completely unsuspecting of a surprise party - and we all had a grand time.
| And then we broke out the IBC - root beer and cream soda. hmm... |
| And the fun wasn't restricted to just the adults |
No comments:
Post a Comment