background

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Graduation Vacation - Cancun May 2013 - days 1 & 2

The best part of Jordan's graduation was our vacation! It was a combo of graduation/5 year anniversary that prompted us to run away from the world for a week. A big thanks to my mom and Rick for watching over the girls while we were chilling in Mexico. Warning - overload of selfie pictures to come.

Vacation started the moment we sat down in the airplane. I had some great books downloaded on my kindle - and we had naps that needed to be taken. We got to the hotel in Cancun just in time to have dinner and settle into our hotel room. 

Funny check-in tanget. We had reserved "non sea-side" rooms due to the price difference. When we checked in we asked how much it would be to upgrade (motivated by seeing the gorgeous seaside in person). The receptionist informed us it would be an extra $50/day. Jordan tried to negotiate and was denied and we were unwilling to pay the extra total of $300. As we were about to go to our assigned room, the receptionist told us that she couldn't give us a discount, but, with an extra tip for her, she could just "assign us a beach front room". I think she was expecting a bigger tip than the $5 Jordan handed her, but, we got 6 days of a wonderful view for practically nothing. Props to Mexico negotiating. 



After many airplane trips over the years, I had a moment of stupidity in packing for this trip. I was worried about having our luggage lost or delayed, so I put all important things in our carry-ons. Such as sun screen, hair products, lotions, toothpaste, ect. I know, I surprise myself sometimes. After having to throw hundreds of dollars of products away at the security check, we were left without some essentials. Luckily, there is a Wal Mart just a short bus ride away from our hotel. And luckily, I spoke the language so that we could communicate with the bus driver so he could let us know where to get off and give us directions on where to go from there. 


The rest of the day was spent on the beach playing in the water, reading, eating endless sushi from the beachside sushi bar and drinking virgin pina coladas (the workers always teased us and would respond to our requests with a "Que? Extra Alchol?"). All on the resort's private beach. 

The water was beautiful. The pictures from our point and shoot did NOT do it justice!

My friendly reading buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment