background

Monday, September 9, 2013

Cancun Day 4 - Chichen Itza

Day 4 and excursion #2 included a trip to a scenic "cenote" and then to the ruins that made one of the "wonders of the world" list - chitzen itza. 


First up - a cooling dip in the cenote


We traveled in a tour group (the only safe way to travel in Mexico) - and Jordan started a cliff jumping party. I entered the water with the handy ladder. It's clear who Lucy gets her "dare devil-ish-ness" from. 



"Thank you for no smoking. Say No to Drugs."

lunch time entertainment

We got to Chitzen Itza just in time for the blistering afternoon heat. 

Although I wish I could see this beautiful edifice in it's original glory with the colors and full engravings - I am grateful I did not live in that time era. With my luck, I would have been throw into the sacrificial cenote. 

Angry Eyes of those that have been sacrificed. 


Their main God - of this temple at least - was the a feathered serpent.



During the spring equinox, the light travels down the temple and out of the serpents mouth.

After the exhausting day, we made it back in time to eat at one of our favorite restaurants at the resort (the price was all inclusive, so we get go order as much food as we want, and we don't have to pay the bill - but we did need reservations). This one was right on the beach side and the blackened salmon was delicious! Oh, as were the 4 different appetizers, soup, and fried ice cream :) All diets were off on this vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment