I bought a tomato kit from Wal mart on clearance and it included this brick of dirt, with seeds included (I think). Well, we ran out of pots the first night we started planting, so the brick had to wait until the second day, by which time we had lost the instructions. Jordan was at work so Lily and I attempted to finish of the planting the next day (the blind leading the blind). I put dirt in the bottom of the new pot and then the brick of dirt/seeds (I assume it contained seeds but I'm not sure I might have just planted dirt), then more planting dirt and then water. After this I moved onto the cilantro seeds.
When I looked back at the pot there was a large square dirt clump sticking out of the pot! The brick of dirt had tripled in size!!!! So I dug out the extra dirt I put in and made room for this enlarged dirt monster that had grown. I finished off the same way as I had before, putting some potting soil on top and then water. I then turned to our Oregano seeds only to look back 5 minutes later to find that the tomato monster had doubled yet again!!! UGH! I felt like I was on an I Love Lucy episode! So yet again I made room for it and left it alone. Well, last night it rained, which fed the tomato monster and this is what I found in the morning. Will it ever stop? I'm sure I've mascacured whatever hopes there were within for real tomatoes (if it even contained any). Continue to check back on the Martha project and you find out the end to this story.
Our little garden needs some jimmy-rigging. It's a good thing Jordan is becoming quite a professional at that since he's married me.
Apparently a window planter is very different from a balcony planter. Whoops. I think with Jordan + strong wire, we'll make it work. In the mean time my cute little petunias are siting on the ground. They survived the massive rain storm last night, but barely. Normally rain puts me to sleep, but I was up worrying about my new little garden, until I finally just went out in the rain to cover them.
This is the tomato kit that I meantioned earlier. We put the seeds that came with it in pots (you already know how THAT turned out!) and filled it with some plants from Home Depot that had already been started.
One night I went into check on Lily after she had fallen asleep to find this:
Her BUTT straight up in the air! I took several pictures with my big flash and she didn't budge. She was fast asleep :)
Lily is so cute! I'm glad I found your blog, I added you to my friends list on my blog so I can keep up with you. It sounds like you guys are doing really good.
ReplyDeleteI do not have a green thumb at all! I want to so badly! Someday. Love when the babes sleep with their hineys all up in the air. It's seriously the cutest thing!
ReplyDeleteHey Brittany! What's your blog address????? I want to see how you've been since the good old drill team days :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the Martha project. Trial and error are good learners (that's how are garden got started, by dying every year for the first couple of years).
ReplyDelete