background

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Strawberry Fields - Our Day As Farm Hands

And by day, I mean 30-45 minutes. And by farm hands, I mean that we paid to go out and pick strawberries, at our leisure. And by we, I mean that Jordan and Lucy did most of the work. I picked a few strawberries, took a lot of pictures and Lily soon realized that picking strawberries is hard work. Especially in the hot sun. She soon moved to picking flowers. 




Our good friends, The Mijangos came with us. We were excited to see them since Debora and Nikki had just returned from a 6 week trip to take care of her mother in Rhode Island.
On the tractor ride out to the strawberry fields. You can't tell by the picture but Niki is one of Lucy's favorite friends. Niki is sitting by Lily so Lily can help hold onto her during the bumpy ride and Lucy is next to her dad. 


Every morning Jordan tells me sweet little lies, like, "you're a hot." and "Looking good today." I adore him for this. Pregnancy face, nobody can get away from it. And let's be honest, my belly is outrageous. Last week when I went to Labor and Delivery to have my Birthing Prep meeting (getting paperwork out of the way) even the L&D nurses were commenting on my belly. And they see full term pregnant woman all day every day! "Wow, your baby is just all out there, isn't she?" is the gist of the comments I get from people.   Here I am 38 weeks + 1 day pregnant. The countdown begins. 

Field hands at work

It took Lucy a little bit to learn which strawberries to pick, but she soon was a busy little bee collecting all the "shiny" ones she could find. Of course, they would then hand them to me and I would put them in the box for them. 



Like I said before, Jordan did most of the work today. There is some good farming genes in him. However, this did make us appreciate our education. 


Towards the end Lily got back into the strawberry picking game and found us some great ones. 

I have been horrible at taking pregnancy pictures - so here are a few, even though they are taken on the same day. Side note, I have about 3 different outfits to choose from at this stage of pregnancy. I normally don't get to wear short skirts due to having to wear compression stockings, but today I decidedly to live dangerously. Mostly, I just wanted to be cool and comfortable. Compression stockings mean maxi skirts or pants, and ballet flats or tennis shoes. Plus the stockings themselves are thick and add to my hot flashes. Normally I don't mind them since they keep the pain from my superficial blood clot away, but today, I went without them and it felt great. 






13 pounds of fresh, delicious berries! They are going to make some great smoothies this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment